Wednesday, December 04, 2013



I watched this movie last night. It was really good. It was meaningful to me because it was quite a philosophical film and life and what you do with it. It encourages you to live life to the fullest and to take risks. Furthermore, it was set in Lisbon, which I traveled to by myself. It brought back all sorts of memories and emotion that were relevant especially to my experiences of travelling alone.

The themes of the film really resonated with what I did and I have no regrets of really just GOING out there and travelling to wherever I wanted. This film spoke to well to me and yet...I have no one to share it with. Because I visited alone, I can't think of anyone that would appreciate the film like I do. There would be no flood of nostalgia at the colourful houses, the shout of joy as I saw the same staircase I once climbed on-screen. I guess I really miss Europe.

The film is relatively slow-paced, so I can hardly think of anyone from my generation that would have the patience to sit through it. I feel at times it's very hard to find people here that share the same tastes I do. Imagine my joy on exchange when I finally met someone who knew who Parov Stelar was? My housemate no less. It's hard not to feel quite alone at times like this.

The past semester has been quite hellish. Work non-stop. To quote Coldplay, nobody said it would be easy. But nobody said it would be this insane as well! The resulting backlash from the constant work and pressure on myself is that mentally I don't want to do work anymore. Every day I sleep at 3am, wake at 1pm, and decide whether to read an ebook, watch a movie, or play computer games. Time's a-wasting and life's a-wasting. How contrary to Night Train.

I used to be fairly efficient. I had a nice little productivity list of things to do on Evernote and every day I would fill it up and strike things off. Now rebelling against work I've stopped doing it. Before I went to sleep things kept popping up in my head and I realised how many errands and tasks that I have to do but I've just shoved in a corner and reflexively refused to think about. Time to pay my credit card bills. Tidy up my old laptop. Deal with my collection of songs. And more. I need to work on my thesis.

No comments: